The National Zoo in Washington, DCAlso known as the Smithsonian National Zoological Park, it has a storied history and an admirable mission-to care for animals and educate the public. The 163-acre Zoo is open 364 days a year, and is free to the public. It's a popular Washington, DC tourist attraction, especially for families. From the cuddly Giant Pandas to the awesome lions, from the cheeky lemurs to the slimy salamanders, the National Zoo is an inspiring place to visit.
Hours -Open every day except Dec. 25. From April to October, the grounds are open from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m., and Exhibit Buildings from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. From November to March, the grounds are open from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Exhibit Building from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Fiesta Musical - Sep. 29
- Autumn Conservation Festival - Oct. 5-6
- Boo at the Zoo - Oct. 25-27
- Visit the animal exhibits
- Ride the carousel
- Get lunch or snacks at one of 5 eateries
- Pet the animals at the Kids' Farm
- Buy a souvenir at the gift shop